Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Recycling at Boise State

Items Recycled on Campus

Boise State’s Facilities Operations and Maintenance – Recycling

  • Paper – All paper! Colored, white, glossy, junk mail, newspaper and yes, shredded paper can (and should) be recycled. No need to sort it. The old recycling bags (white and blue) continue to work for collection as we phase them out. No sorting is required!
  • Aluminum – The biggest energy savings due to recycling comes from aluminum. All aluminum including soda cans and pie pans are recyclable.
  • Plastic – Only sturdy plastic bottles, numbers #1 and #2, are recyclable at Boise State. This includes soda bottles, milk jugs, and detergent bottles. Flimsy water bottles are no longer recyclable. We ask that you make sure they are empty and that you place the bottle caps in the landfill receptacle.
  • Cardboard – Corrugated cardboard is particularly recyclable. Please break down the box and place it behind (or near) the recycling tote.
  • Batteries – All rechargeable batteries are recycled by EHSS through the Call 2 Recycle program, and include all of the following:
    Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH)
    Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cd)
    Small Sealed Lead Acid (SSLA/Pb)
    Lithium Ion (Li-ion)
    Nickel Zinc (Ni-Zn)
    You can either arrange for a pick up by calling (208) 426-3303 or you can drop them off at 1129 Euclid Avenue, or at the BroncoTec Shop in the SUB.
  • Printer cartridges – All departments on campus that use and produce waste from printers are asked to recycle them by placing them next to their general recycling bin for pick up by Custodial staff. You may also arrange a pick up by contacting EHSS at (208) 426-3303.

Why do recycling bins look different all over campus?

Our recycling program has grown somewhat organically over the years. We are currently standardizing the recycling bins for all the academic buildings (the SUB runs their own program). Whether the bin is blue or green, our single stream recycling should have labels to distinguish landfill from recycling receptacles.

I don’t know how recycling works in my building! Whom should I ask?

The first point of contact for the placement of recycling bins or problems related to them is your building coordinator. Find your building coordinator >>

I’ve got some ideas to make this work better, how do I get in touch with the right person?

Boise State Campus Sustainability is always eager to hear ideas on how to improve recycling. We’re always interested in your thoughts. Contact us!

Do you know what happens to the items on campus that are recycled?

Most of the recycled materials are sent to a local Boise company, Western Recycling. All recyclable items are sorted locally on-site. Paper, newspaper and cardboard are sent to various mills in Oregon and Washington State. Aluminum items are sent to a facility in Kentucky and made into cans. Plastics are shipped overseas to China and melted down into other plastic products. Recycled newspapers are pulped down and re-sold back to the various newspaper companies, such as the Idaho Statesman and the Idaho Press Tribune to be used again in newsprint. Other papers products, such as office paper, magazines etc are pulped down and sold to other mills and made into a variety of paper products, such as office paper, paper towels and toilet paper.